The Front Parlour
This room in the front of the house would have been used for more formal occasions and the furnishings reflect that formality. One of the portraits handing in the Parlour is of Judge Elisha DeWolf, 1756-183, son of Nathan a Planter Grantee, born in Saybrook. He was High Sheriff of Kings from 1793 to 1799 and from 1818 to 1820. He was also Assistant Judge of the Court of Common Pleas and Postmaster, Collector of Customs and Justice of the Peace. He resided in what is now known as Kent Lodge, named after the Duke of Kent who was entertained by Judge DeWolf there on a trip through the area. Elisha married in Horton,1779, Margaret Ratchford whose portrait hangs on the opposite wall. Also in this room is one of the oldest items in our Collection, one of a set of six chairs brought to Cornwallis Township, Nova Scotia from New England by Deacon John Newcomb, a Planter, in 1760. It resembles closely chairs made in New Jersey between 1730 and 1750. The five thousand New England farmers and fishermen who came to Nova Scotia in the 1760s had been long established in their old homes in New England and brought their furniture, including chairs, with them. The donor’s mother-in-law, Sabra Elizabeth Lewis Newcomb McKittrick (1831-?), was a direct descendant of Deacon John Newcomb (1688-1767).