School Act of 1864 made education more widely available and replaced "travelling
pedagogues" or the private schooling that was offered by Horton Academy
and by Mrs. Best who educated young ladies in the Charles Randall house.
In the cellar of the T.A.S. DeWolf house the family and the neighbours'
children had to share their classroom with curing hams, while a school
was also held at one time across the road in the Temperance Hall on the
upper level of what is now the MacDonald and Chisholm building.
Wolfville's first free school was built on the corner of Highland and Acadia
Streets on what is now the school playground. It was not highly thought
of, being described as "rough and awfully dirty". It shared the building
with the town jail and also housed the firebell.
completion of the MacKay School on Acadia Street. It was named for
the provincial superintendent of education, and considered one of the most
modern in the county. By 1897 it was educating students up to grade
10 and 11 level.
W.H. Chase, the apple king, gave books to the school library.
An anti-cigarette league was formed among the boys, who wore special maple
A night school began in the school building, for those who wished to improve
The original 1864 school was torn down, and a new building, the Munro School,
was erected. The architect was a former teacher, Leslie R. Fairn,
and it was constructed by Wolfville's foremost contractor, Charles H. Wright.
Primary classes continued in the MacKay School while grades 5 to 11 occupied
the Munro. B.C. Silver was principal from 1922 to 1940, and O. Rex
Porter held the position for the next 30 years. The drama program at the
school was popular and successful, as were track and field meets.
the original Wolfville School of 1864 was demolished to enlarge the primary
for the first time the Compulsory Attendance Act was enforced in Wolfville.
School colours were adopted - powder blue (later royal blue), black and
Local students won eleven of the eighteen prizes offered for English composition
by the Ceylon Tea Company of Montreal, including first prize which went
to Ernest Forbes Young.
A cadet program was organized to train boys for the armed services and
achieve proficiency in drill and marksmanship. The cadet band was
a popular feature of the program.
war baby boom meant that school boards everywhere had to prepare for the
expected rise in the student population. In the 1950s the Tabernacle
building (now the Royal Canadian Legion on Main Street) was purchased
for Industrial Arts and Continuing Education.
the house next to the Munro Building on Acadia Street was purchased and
renamed the B.C. Silver Building. Continuing the eastward expansion
along Acadia Street, the Longley property was bought and the house relocated.
This gave the needed space for the construction of a new high school.
Wolfville High School built.
Gladys I. West retired after teaching for 52 years in Wolfville,
and was honoured by staff and students alike. New offices, a library
and teachers' room were added to the high school and another half million
dollar extension voted.
The B.C. Silver building was demolished making room for a gymnasium addition
to the high school. By the 1970s parents were urging the replacement
of the venerable MacKay building as well as the Munro building to allow
the building of a modern elementary school.
By late fall the older school buildings were gone and classes had begun
in a new elementary school, designed by Leslie R. Fairn, and constructed
by V.C. Woodworth. It featured the new "open classroom concept".
The formal opening of the new school took place in January 1973.
After more than a century of building and rebuilding, the Wolfville School
had achieved the form that it still has today.
Despite opposition that included a brief sit-in by the students, Wolfville
became part of the amalgamated county school board and the high school
classes ceased. Students from grades 10 to 12 now attend Horton District
High School in Greenwich.